Maroochy Bushland Botanic Garden is supported by a team of passionate volunteers. They work alongside Council staff to provide a welcoming and informative experience for visitors, as well as assisting in the development and maintenance of the Botanic Garden.
We thank all our new and continuing volunteers for their valuable contributions.
Are you interested in becoming a Maroochy Bushland Botanic Garden volunteer?
Current volunteer opportunities
- Gardening – enjoy the bushland setting while weeding, mulching, fertilising, pruning and installing irrigation in the landscaped gardens on Tuesdays.
- Maintenance - We are looking for a volunteer with concreting experience to join us on Tuesdays. Your skills will support the building of new tracks, as well as all aspects of garden maintenance including oiling, sanding, pressure washing and garden edging.
Other volunteer roles
- Visitor Guide - if you are you comfortable speaking in front of groups, enjoy sharing stories, and inspiring others then becoming a volunteer guide may be for you. Guides provide tours through the Botanic Garden for adult community and tour groups. Guides share stories of the plants, animals and history that make the site special.
- Visitor information – volunteers welcome visitors from around the world and provide information about the reserve to enhance their experience. They also assist with visitor health and safety messages and adherence to site rules. If you enjoy meeting and talking to new people then the visitor information role is an ideal opportunity for you.
- Plant collections – if botany is your passion then you may choose to work with council staff to identify and source local native plants for the botanic collection.
- Scientific research – Periodically scientific research is undertaken to help build our understanding of the species and ecological relationships that occur in the Botanic Garden. Where possible volunteers are invited to assist with and learn from this research.
Expectations and support:
- Volunteers must undertake an induction program prior to commencing.
- Regular meetings, workshops and newsletters are provided to help support volunteers in their role.
- Volunteers are encouraged to attend regularly, preferably 1-3 times per month.
How to apply to be a volunteer at Maroochy Bushland Botanic Garden
Register online to volunteer.
Council hopes that you will enjoy and learn from your experience while helping the Maroochy Bushland Botanic Garden.